Thank you for your interest in fireplace careers with the Fireplace Division of Metro Garage Door, Inc.
Why Work for Metro Garage Doors?
Metro Garage Doors is in the full service door, insulation and fireplace business. Over the past 40 years, our associates built Metro into what it is today by treating each other with respect and working together to succeed. Our people make a difference every day to our customers, to our business, and to each other. The growth and success we’ve experienced requires smart, dedicated people working in a supportive environment.
Growing our family since 1977. Will you join us?
FIREPLACE INSTALLER / TECHNICIAN
The Fireplace Technician is the primary technician to install fireplaces, wood burning and gas, in homes in accordance with manufacturer’s installation instructions and L&W Insulation and Fireplaces installation guidelines
The Fireplace Technician is responsible but not limited to:
- Review Work Order information for accuracy and completeness before departing for job, including verifying address of customer location.
- Read instruction manuals for all products to be installed before attempting to install.
- Assess installation requirements and plan the appropriate steps of the installation process.
- Install fireplace as required by L&W standards, manufacturer’s instructions, and local building codes.
- Framing adjustments as needed.
- Pull wiring as needed to dedicated low voltage box and install box at standard height, providing box if needed.
- Air kit needs to be completely installed / mounted to exterior wall.
- Clean up all trash from job site.
- Explain how fireplace works if customer is present.
- Respond to customer questions in a truthful and pleasant manner.
- Strive for complete installation of each job, exhausting all efforts which may include overtime and/or weekend work.
- Note what actions need to be taken if the job cannot be finished or is not completed.
- Return completed paperwork daily.
- Housekeeping of truck, daily log book, standard DOT procedures.
- Maintain a working knowledge of installed products.
- Communicate with sales staff and field operations to ensure installation is complete and meets quality standards.
- Follow OSHA and company safety procedures.
- Maintain a customer-friendly attitude.
- Attending and participating in all required and requested safety meetings and training sessions.
Fireplace Tech Qualifications
HS diploma or GED preferred. Experience in the construction industry helpful. Must have a valid driver’s license. Must have basic math skills. Should have good verbal communication skills. Must have good mechanical aptitude and demonstrated ability to understand and work with common power tools. Must be able to read and write legibly and accurately. Willingness to be diversified and trained in different divisions. Ability to treat customers with decency and respect and to control personal emotions in confrontational situations. Ability to work with others in a positive and productive manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to lift up to 80 pounds and carry for a distance of up to 50 feet. Must be able to walk and carry items on uneven ground. Must be able to climb and work from a ladder height of 24’ – 30’. Must to be able to operate and work from a hydraulic lift reaching heights of up to 40’. Must be able to work in extreme heat and cold. Must be able to work in a dirty, dusty, oily environment. Must have manual dexterity in both hands, which allows the use of a hand tool.
While performing these job duties, the employee is consistently required to lift, carry, push, climb, balance, kneel, crouch, reach, work with hands and fingers, and drive. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, and use depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Works in a construction environment
BENEFITS: Paid time off starting at 90 days, paid holidays, 401(k), health insurance, dental, vision, short-term disability, company paid life insurance and long-term disability
COMPENSATION: Employees are paid a training hourly rate commensurate with experience. After training period, piece rate is paid for some positions.
SCHEDULE: Hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00 am start time. Ending time will depend on amount of work given for the day. Some weekend work may be required.